SAFA Women Leadership Committee
South Asian Federation of Accountants (SAFA), which is an apex body of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), in its recent Board meeting held on May 11, 2018, in Kathmandu, Nepal constituted a SAFA Women Leadership Committee, on the recommendation of the ICAP’s CA Women’s Committee.
The first ever meeting of SAFA Women Leadership Committee was held on September 25, 2018 in Karachi. The meeting was attended by members of the Committee along with SAFA office bearers including Dr. Suvod Kumar Karn (President of SAFA) and Dr. P.V.S. Jagan Mohan Rao (Vice President of SAFA) as well as the President of ICAB, Mr. Dewan Nurul Islam, who attended the meeting to show their support for the Committee. The Committee discussed policies and initiatives for development of women members in the SAARC region.
Later the CA Women Committee members in Karachi met the SAFA Board and appreciated their support for women leadership committee. During the meeting of SAFA Board, they had invited Ms. Hina Usmani, Chairperson CA Women Committee to make a presentation on terms of reference and future action plans of the newly constituted Committee. The Board appreciated the presentation and pledged its full support in achieving Committee’s goals & objectives.
- To conceive, formulate and implement plans, policies and programs for development of Women Members and encourage girls to opt for CA course as their career.
- To represent interests of Women Members at Government and industry forums.
- To interact with various stakeholders in various sectors, self-regulatory organizations and Government on matters relating to growth and development of Women Members.
- To organize specialized training programs for Women Members to prepare them for the role of women director in companies.
- To visualize and enhance opportunities for Women Members who opt to work part time from their homes.
- To involve Women Members in various activities and particularly the Women Members who are not able to leave their homes.
- To involve Women Members in research projects in a manner that the work schedules are flexible.
- To encourage and develop the entrepreneurship skills in Women Members.
- To acknowledge and honor the accomplishment and contributions by Women Members.
- Any other matter as decided by the Committee from time to time.
- C.A. K Sripriya, ICA India (Chairperson)
- Ms. Parveen Mahmud, ICA Bangladesh (Vice Chairperson)
- Ms. Hina Usmani, ICA Pakistan (Chairperson of CA Women’s Committee)
- Ms. Marium Khawar Butt, ICMA Pakistan
- RA. Meera Shrestha, ICA Nepal
- Ms. Nilima Casichetty, CMA Sri Lanka
- Ms. Aruni Rajakarrier, CA Sri Lanka
- Ms. Sameera Sarwar, CPA Afghanistan
Other international engagements
On behalf of CA Women Committee, Hina Usmani attended the World Congress of Accountants (WCOA) held in Sydney, Australia in November 2018. During her visit she met Ms. Jane Stanton, the then President of the Insitute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, and discussed matters related to women’s inclusion in the profession.